Thursday, January 1, 2015

The year, 2014, in music.

I am a member of two music share email groups.  One I founded (Music Share Wednesday), and one that I was invited to join (La Música de Campeones III). Since their beginnings, my knowledge of new -- and good -- music, artists, bands, genres, and uses of instruments and vocals has brilliantly expanded.

As a small humblebrag, I put together a recap of the year's music on my own terms: 

How I heard music throughout 2014.  
The trends I observed.  
Reflection on mostly a personal level.  
Artists and musicians that heightened my excitement and interests. Some things to look out for in 2015.
Things like that.

Granted, it could use more work, be fleshed out, and with an hour or so of additional research, it could be worthy of publication, but I think the recap is unique in its rawest form and without corrections to the context:

It was a great year of Music Share Wednesday. Thanks to you all for sharing great tracks, albums, and concert ideas throughout the year.  

Without a doubt, 2014 was dominated by major releases by some of the most talented women in the industry (read: Beyoncé, Nicki Minaj, Lana Del Rey, Iggy Azalea, FKA Twigs, Sharon Jones, and Ariana Grande to name a few), but let us not forget 2014 also consisted of a new album by Pharrell Williams (as well as the near global takeover with "Happy"), a new single from Kendrick Lamar ("i" - likely receiving more controversy than radio play), the long awaited sophomore album by Alt-J, the first D’Angelo album in 15 years, and the beautiful amazingness that is Hozier.

My top song for 2014?  Well, that's tough, so I have to preface my choice by saying that I've been listening the most to lyrically-driven songs in the last 12 months (read: Asgeir, The Weeknd, London Grammar, St. Paul and the Broken Bones, Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, and This Is All Yours by Alt-J), so l have to go with one I discovered earlier this year:

Jack Garratt - Worry:  https://soundcloud.com/jackgarratt/worry-1. This song was also on the NoonPacific Best in the Universe playlist, so it's getting some traction!

Looking ahead in 2015, I'm mostly excited about some new projects/albums by a number of artists - especially Frank Ocean and Miguel, hopefully Kendrick Lamar, and honestly, Modest Mouse (more on that album drop and first single here: "Lampshades on Fire").  Something about the familiarity of the Modest Mouse sound and the time in my early 20s when they blew up recalls memories I don't mind revisiting to new songs/sounds in 2015.  Another to look forward is The Harpoons.

ALSO – Washington, DC native Nick Hakim (listen to “The Light” or “Cold” or “I Don’t Know” or “Sleep”) is coming to U Street Music Hall on Saturday, January 24.  Tickets are $15 (a STEAL, I bought two): http://www.ticketfly.com/event/745823-nick-hakim-washington/. Nick Hakim’s bio here: http://www.interviewmagazine.com/music/discovery-nick-hakim#_
Anyone have a top album release in 2015 (along with their top 2014 song/album)?

Have a good New Year’s Eve and a happy New Year everyone!

Trevor
 

So there you have it;
And with that, I wish you all a healthy and happy 2015.
So much to look forward to.
Live your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment